Vertical Venture Partners Announces the Second Closing of VVP II
VVP II completes a $50M second close at more than 60% of target
August 1, 2018 – Menlo Park, CA – Vertical Venture Partners (“VVP”) announced the second closing of Vertical Venture Partners II, L.P. (“VVP II”), reaching $50M of capital commitments. VVP II is the firm’s second fund, following the $52M inaugural fund closed in 2016, and is targeting $80M in total capital commitments. Limited Partners in VVP’s funds include StepStone, TIAA, UC San Diego, McKinsey Investment Office, and prominent family offices and angels.
VVP II will execute a similar strategy to that of the successful first fund and is actively seeking new investment opportunities. The core principles of the VVP II investment strategy are:
- Target companies that are attacking a pain point in a specific vertical industry
- Focus on Seed and Series A stage deals
- Take advantage of early exit opportunities
- Leverage university intellectual property as a source of deal flow
VVP II has completed three investments to-date: Molyworks, Redeam and Amira Learning.
- Molyworks is targeting the aerospace and energy sectors with metal alloy powders that can produce 3D printed parts at the quality and cost levels required by these industries. VVP II co-led the Series A investment with Schlumberger Ventures.
- Redeam provides a technology platform for the travel vertical that automates ticketing for tours and attractions. VVP II led the Series A investment alongside Thayer Ventures and JetBlue Technology Ventures.
- Amira Learning has built the first Intelligent Reading Assistant that listens, assesses & coaches, delivering significant acceleration in reading mastery, as proven in field tests by leading universities. VVP II led the Seed investment alongside CEO Mark Angel.
About Vertical Venture Partners
Vertical Venture Partners (“VVP”) is a Silicon Valley-based venture capital firm founded in 2015 by Dave Schwab, a 20-year veteran in early stage technology investing. VVP focuses on making Seed and Series A investments in B2B technology companies targeting pain points in specific vertical sectors as opposed to those providing horizontal technologies to many industry sectors. The VVP team has decades of operating and investment experience gained from diverse backgrounds in venture capital, research & development, investment banking and advanced technology.
Please visit www.vvp.vc to learn more.
Media contact: Doreen Thawleydoreen@vvp.vc